I was determined to make denim yarn last year. I wanted to crochet a denim hammock, but I didn’t have the patience to cut up that many jeans. Turns out, you’ll need tons of jeans for that.
Instead, you might try crocheting the denim yarn into a granny square to make a small rug. Or something like that.
Any other ideas? Let me know! I’d love to test more things out with this yarn. Plus, it’s extremely easy to make!
How to make denim yarn, you ask? Well, here you go:
- Find a pair of old jeans to cut up
- Cut along the smaller outer seam of one leg of the jeans. Then, cut horizontally across one leg of the jeans starting at the thick seam and stop about 1/2 an inch before the end of the fabric. See photo below.
- Unfold the fabric, and it should look like the photo below.
- Next, pick one side and cut through to the seam from the middle cut. Rotate extending the cut from each side, as shown in the photo below.
- And now you have the denim yarn!!